Starting a new training programme can be quite challenging, especially if we are unsure of what works best for us. Exercise can be the most difficult, especially to fit into a busy schedule. However, it is the most beneficial activity for us to incorporate into our everyday lifestyle to redeem the best results.
Beginning with a new gym membership is great, but how exactly are we going to use it is our next challenge. Although a gym can provide us with the vital equipment we may need to shape and strengthen our body, there are also plenty of other ways that we can add exercise into our lifestyle.
For those looking to get their heart and blood pumping, high intensity training is the greatest form of exercise. It can be quick, easy and can also be done with little or no equipment, eliminating having to sign up and slaving away to a gruelling gym.
To help you get to know a little bit more about why to add high intensity training into your new fitness venture, we have listed all the benefits you can receive.
Read on to find out more…
What Is High Intensity Interval Training?
High intensity interval training (HIIT) is a workout that alternates between a variety of exercises for a short amount of time. It requires you to push your body between 30 seconds and 1 minute and then allowing your body to quickly rest until repeating a certain rep or another exercise.
The principle is to overload the muscle, creating a greater demand than your muscle is used to accommodating. The greater the demand, or intensity of the exercise, the greater overload is created and the more effective the exercise becomes.
This short burst of activity allows our heart and our body to work harder, therefore burn fat quicker than a light walk or jog would.
What Are The Benefits?
Some of HIIT major benefits are the following:
- Burn more fat: We burn more fat when we exercise; however, studies have shown that the intensity of the exercise has a direct impact on the fat one’s body burns i.e the more intense your exercise the more fat you burn.
- Increases Metabolism: The intensity increases your metabolism rate which has a direct effect on burning more fat for at least 2 hours after your exercise.
- Flexibility: You can train anywhere and no need for GYM membership. If you are traveling, you train in your room even if you are on a boat you can still train.
- Builds muscle: HIIT helps in building muscle due to the intensity of the trainings.
- Quick but necessarily easy: As it can done anywhere, there is no time waste to drive to the gym. Most sessions last 30 minutes or less.
- 30 push-ups
- 40 jump squats
- 50 sit-ups
- 20 split jumps
- 10 triceps dips
- 30 sec burpees
For a delicious post-work out snack, why not try our tailor-made Energy Booster pre-mixed muesli which helps refuel your body after a high intensity workout.